Microalbuminuria (Moderate Albumin Excretion) and its relationship with Silent myocardial ischemia in  treatment naïve type II diabetic patients

Moderate Albumin Excretion & its relationship with SMI

  • Qurban Hussain
  • Mulazim Hussain Bukhari University of Lahore
  • Faiza Afzaal
  • Wajiha Fatima
Keywords: Diabetes mellitus, Microalbuminemia, Moderate Albumin excretion, Myocardial Infarction, Silent myocardial ischemia

Abstract

Objective: To determine the frequency of microalbuminuria (MAU) or Moderate Albumin Excretion (MAE) in treatment naïve type II diabetic patients and to compare the frequency of silent myocardial ischemia in treatment naive Type-II diabetic patients with and without microalbuminuria.

Methods: It was a cross sectional survey conducted in the outpatient Department, Jinnah Hospital Lahore, from 30th May 2015 to 29th November 2015. There were 227 patients, (consecutive treatment naïve type II diabetic patients), presenting to outpatient department were enrolled in the study. MAU/MAE, silent myocardial ischemia and effect modifiers like HbA1C > 7%, smoking pack years and dyslipidemia was determined. MAU/MAE was determined by urinary albumin excretion rate of 30-300 mg/24 hours and included patients underwent exercise tolerance test to diagnose silent myocardial ischemia.

Results: Out of total 165 patients (72.7%) were male and remaining 62 patients (27.3%) were female. The 54 patients (23.8%) had MAU/MAE. The 44 patients (19.4%) had silent myocardial infarction. When we cross tabulated microalbuminuria with silent myocardial infarction, result were significant. Out of 54 patients with MAU/MAE, 16 cases had silent myocardial infarction.

Conclusion: The frequency of microalbuminuria/ Moderate Albumin Excretion in treatment naïve type II diabetic patients was high and associated with the frequency of silent myocardial ischemia in treatment naïve type II diabetic patients with and without MAU MAU/MAE.

doi: https://doi.org/10.12669/pjms.36.3.938

How to cite this:
Hussain Q, Bukhari MH, Afzaal F, Fatima W. Microalbuminuria (Moderate Albumin Excretion) and its relationship with Silent myocardial ischemia in treatment naïve type II diabetic patients. Pak J Med Sci. 2020;36(3):496-500.
doi: https://doi.org/10.12669/pjms.36.3.938

This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Author Biographies

Qurban Hussain

Senior Registrar Medicine, Jinnah hospital Lahore

Mulazim Hussain Bukhari, University of Lahore

Professor of Pathology and Head of Pathology UCMD

Faiza Afzaal

Post graduate trainee FCPS Anesthesia

Jinnah hospital Lahore

Wajiha Fatima

Senior Registrar Medicine

 Jinnah hospital Lahore

Published
2020-03-04
Section
Original Articles